Feeding Dogs 101
You will find hundreds of websites about feeding dogs. There is more information available on how to feed dogs than you could ever read in your lifetime. So this page about providing food for your dog strives to simplify the topic for you. Let's not make the topic of what dogs should eat, harder than it has to be. I always say that feeding your dog well should not be rocket science! Let's use some common sense.
Make better food choices for your dog
Below you will find the topic of feeding dogs broken down into three categories.
Make your choice and click on the links provided. There you will find
more information and resources that will help you make the best choice
for you and your dog.
Always remember that the state of your dog's health is directly related to the quality of dog foods eaten. Learning about the history of dogs
can help you make a better choice too. Mother Nature certainly has it
all figured out. What worked millions of years ago, still works today.
It's a fascinating read!
3 Different Ways for Feeding Dogs
- Commercial dry dog foods also known as dog kibble. This is the type of dogfood most people use to feed their dog. It's convenient, keeps for a long time and covers many price points. Depending on your budget and lifestyle, you can find a commercial dry dog food brand that fits your needs. However, it may not fit the needs of your dog.
- Homemade dog food is made from your own real food. Homemade dog food is simple to prepare, cost efficient if you look for specials at the grocery store, can be made in larger batches and frozen for convenience. However, heat from cooking destroys some nutrients and enzymes. Learn more about making dog food on this page about homemade dog food and get excellent homemade dog food recipes for better dog nutrition.
- Raw dog food is simply the best. Many people are ' raw feeding dogs '. I'm in love with this idea, and of course have been feeding our dogs raw for many years. Since dogs are carnivores, meat eaters by species nature, this is obviously the best way to go. However, it's not as simple as just throwing your dog a steak. I have tried to make a hot topic simple for you, on this page about raw dog food.
1 Thing You Can Today
To Boost Dog Nutrition
Although I am a raw feeder myself, I realize that not everyone will be able to, or even want to, feed their dog a raw food diet. You must make the best choice possible based on our own lifestyle circumstances. Knowledge is power so educate yourself as best you can about commercial dog foods and canine nutrition requirements.
As a place to start, why not learn more about what natural dog food really means? You will often see the words ' all natural ' on a bag of dog food. Is this really true? Well, of course not! That's called ' marketing '. Common sense will tell you that. If it comes in a bag, box or can, it's not natural. So look friends, feeding dogs doesn't have to be as hard as you're probably making it.
If you're really confused, simply feed the best dogfood you can afford. The # 1 thing you can do right now, is make the decision to upgrade the quality of your dog's food. One step up, is better than nothing.
- Grocery store dog food costs less and is cheap for a reason. It will contain cheap ingredients that won't build health for your dog. If your household budget requires that you cut back on the cost of dog food and therefore nutrition, understand that you will very likely spend the money saved, at the vet. No one wins, especially the dog!
- Medium priced dog foods will be a little better, and will contain somewhat better ingredients. Typically, dog foods found in pet stores are of a better quality than grocery store dog foods. Medium priced dog food is a better choice than low quality, grocery store food. This is an upgrade!
- Premium grade dog food will contain the best ingredients, but
you will pay for this. That makes sense, doesn't it? You get what you
pay for. You might want to consider some healthier dog treats
while you're at it. Premium grade, grain free and starch free kibble is better than grocery store food and medium grade food. This is an upgrade!
- Raw dog food would be the best choice of course. If you are able to
upgrade from premium kibble to a comercial raw dog food blend, I
congratulate you. As with all commercially prepared dog foods, some raw dog food brands are better than others. Definitely, this is an upgrade from any kind of dry or canned dog food.
3 Helpful Tips for Feeding Dogs
Return to Home Page
Learn it! Love it! Live it!