Can Nutritional Health Supplements
Help Your Dog?
Nutritional health supplements for dogs. Yes or no? Let's define the word to find out. What does the word ' supplement ' actually mean?
" something that completes or enhances something else when added to it."
So, if your intention is to help your dog get healthier, you're probably trying to figure out if adding extra nutrients will complete or enhance your dog's health for the better. Is that right? In other words, will dog supplements help or not?
Kierra and Ice
At Dog Nutrition Naturally, I have the opportunity to
personally speak to people who are coping with dog health problems. My
inbox is filled with contacts from people who have sick dogs. I'm often the last resort!
There seems to be two thought groups on this controversial topic of dietary food supplements for dogs. Which group are you in? Maybe you need help figuring it out?
Are You For Or Against
- First group - Do you think that commercial dog food already comes with dog vitamins and minerals added, so no extra supplementation is needed? Do you trust the dog food
manufacturer, the AAFCO and other regulatory bodies, to make sure your dogs
have all they need as far as dog nutrition is concerned?
- Second group - Do you see that many dogs are sick despite the fact
that pet foods are supposed to be balanced, nutritionally complete and
already come with supplements added? Do you believe that nutritional health supplements for dogs can be beneficial if used properly?
If you're in the first group you'll likely want to get the heck out of here, but if you stick around, maybe I can change your mind!
Does This Sound Like You?
Your dog has a health problem so you decide he needs to go to the vet, right? Well, maybe or maybe not! Did your dog's health problem get solved? What if it didn't get solved and you're back at the vet again and again. What then?
Google will help you with all kinds of advice on nutritional health
supplements for dogs and info on how to solve your dog's health
problems. Hello! You found me! So then you decide to go it alone without guidance because you've read that, this or that supplement is good for this or that health problem.
Finally, you're no further ahead.
- you're desperate to help your dog
- you're discouraged about the results you've gotten so far
- you're confused about everything you've read
So, the question remains. Can nutritional health supplements help your dog get healthy again?
Some Common Questions About Dog Supplements
- How do I know what nutritional health supplements to use to solve my dog's specific health problems?
- How do I know if my dog really needs dietary food supplements?
- How long will it take for my dog to get healthy again if I use dog supplements?
- How long will my dog have to take nutritional health supplements?
- How do I know if the supplements I'm using for my dog are the best health supplements?
Before I can answer these questions from caring, concerned dog owners, I need some information:
- General information about the dog, such as age, breed, weight
- Past and current feeding protocols
- A brief health history
- Veterinary diagnosis ( I'm not a doctor ) and treatment recommendations if any.
- Drugs and or supplements used, now and previously
Dogs are like people. Each dog is different and unique. So, one size does not fit all, when it comes to dog supplements. There are many things to consider...but here are a few good reasons why most dogs can benefit.
6 Good Reasons Why Dogs Can Benefit From
Nutritional Health Supplements
- To make up for poor canine nutrition due to improper or nutrient deficient feeding
- Some dogs have health problems from birth
- Puppies are often taken away from the mother too soon and don't have full immunity
- Many dogs are rescued dogs. Who knows what their story is?
- Many dogs have specific health problems that need to be addressed in a specific, targeted way
- Age related senior dog health concerns
The causes of dog health problems are many and varied, and dog nutrition from food, is not always as good as it should be. So for these reasons, I choose to use nutritional health supplements as a way to get extra cellular nutrition. This is especially important if you have...
- a puppy from questionable circumstances
- a rescue dog with an unknown history
- a sick dog with long term chronic health issues
- a healthy dog that is aging
A Dog Supplement Program Needs to Cover
7 Critical Core Components of Nutrition
Understanding that your dog is a carnivore with specific canine nutrition requirements, it is important to make sure that your dog supplement program meets the 7 Critical Core Components of Nutrition in the following way.
- Vitamins: The best way for your dog to get vitamin compounds is through food, because vitamins work together with other nutrients. Unfortunately our food supply is lacking, both in nutrient content and freshness, even if you are making your own dog food. Good food alone is not enough.
- Enzymes: Are natural components of living things, and are found naturally in raw food, both animal and vegetable. Heat from cooking deactivates and destroys enzymes. Even worse, processed commercial food contains enzyme inhibitors to increase shelf life. Enzymes work together with minerals to make things happen inside the body.
- Probiotics: We often think of bacteria as something bad that needs to be killed off and eliminated. Nothing could be further from the truth. A proper balance of good and bad bacteria is essential to health and life. There are hundreds of strains of bacteria that live in your dog's intestinal system, making up his own private ecosystem. This bacterial balance can easily be destroyed by drugs, vaccines and in complete diets. Probiotics help to restore the natural balance of your dog's intestinal microflora. It all starts in the gut!
- Antioxidants: These nutrients protect your dog's body from free radicals that create oxidative damage to cells. Oxidation ' rusting ' is what causes the body to deteriorate, developing degenerative diseases as your dog ages. Prevention is worth a pound of cure!
- Fatty acids: Dogs need fat to be healthy. Fats are important for brain and nerves, heart and immune function, healthy skin and coat to name just a few. Some fatty acids are produced naturally by your dog's body, and some must be gotten from food. Fatty acids are essential for the absorption of certain vitamins. Food alone is not enough!
- Minerals: The body is made of minerals. Literally! Healthy bodies are connected to healthy soil. If any mineral element is missing from the soil, then it will be missing from food, whether that be animal food ( meat ) or plant food. Soil depletion has a profound effect on the nutrient value of food for dogs and people.
- Superfoods: Are nutritionally dense whole foods from both animal and plant sources, that supply complex substances containing thousands of micronutrients, which are chemicals necessary for health. Examples of superfoods for dogs would be: organ meats ( animal source ) and herbs/herbal combinations ( plant source )
Nutritional Health Supplements
Feeding your dog a meat based diet specific to canine nutrition needs, together with some fresh whole foods and dietary food supplements does a great job of meeting the diverse nutrient requirements for dogs.
Nutritional dog supplements can be used for many different purposes, such as...
- maintaining and sustaining good general health
- an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
- boosting immunity
- alternatives to chemical pest control
- bacterial and viral infections
- healthy aging to promote longevity
- addressing specific dog health problems
The world is not what it used to be. I believe we all need nutritional health supplements today. This is the best way to enhance and therefore ensure, good health over the long term. We all want to grow old gracefully. We all want to stay active and enjoy life on our terms. So does your dog. Good health is his birthright. It's all up to you. Your dog depends on you to make excellent choices for him.
Go From Nutritional Health Supplements Back to Home Page
Have your say about what you've just read here. Use the comments box below.
Sharing is appreciated!