Raw Dog Food
The Food Dogs Were Meant to Eat!
Raw dog food is the most natural dog food. In my opinion it is the
best dog food. Canine evolutionary biology research, has shown that our
dogs have evolved to eat a diet of ' live foods ' made up of a natural
balance of raw meat and organs, bone, some fish and eggs, and small amounts of
fruits, vegetables and wild grasses.
Like people, dogs need food to nourish their bodies. Dogs are scavenging carnivores. Over millions of years, wild dogs have eaten the whole prey, carcasses and remains of other animals. This is the canine ancestral diet. True dog nutrition. Nothing has changed no matter what you've been told.
Dogs are designed physically, to eat the correct evolutionary diet
for their species, Canidae. This means the meat, bones, organs and
glands of prey animals. Along with smaller amounts of fish, eggs, fruits
and other vegetation when it is necessary.
Who Made Humans Experts On
Dogs evolved from wolves over 14,000 years ago, and have adapted well to the ways of humans. They have thrived, and have been very successful as a species. The discarded food waste of humans has supplied a source of dog nutrition over the ages. The
fittest and healthiest dogs were the ones that ate the best food.
Structurally our domestic dogs today, are somewhat different than
wolves and their coyote cousins, but inside the body, the
canine digestive system remains almost the same. Although domestic dogs have evolved over time, they are still built to
utilize their historically correct, canine ancestral diet.
Raw food for dogs is life enhancing
food. Dogs still need ' live foods ' that truly nourish them. Only a raw
food diet will provide this. A correct raw diet is close to the
original, natural raw food diet consumed by wild dogs.
All of the nutrients are intact.
- essential fatty acids
These nutrients have not been destroyed by cooking.
Dogs have been eating their natural diet, shared with humans, for over 14,000 years. Wolves and other wild dogs have been eating it for at least 5,000,000 years. It is important to realize, that our pet dogs have been eating an unnatural diet of commercial dry dog foods and prepared canned foods for less than 100 years.
Hello! How does that make us experts at what dogs should eat? In the scheme of life and the history of the world, 100 years is a drop in the bucket! Quite obviously, the canidae species, was doing just fine, before we got involved.
Advantages and Health Benefits of
Feeding Dogs a Raw Diet
- the body is able to make healthier cells from better, higher quality raw ingredients
- less illness, especially chronic common dog health problems such as skin problems, allergies and ear infections.
- easier weight control. No more fat dogs. Watch your dog become slim and trim.
- whiter, cleaner teeth and healthier gums.
- better hydration. Improved kidney function.
- better mental awareness. If your dog was smart before, he'll be even smarter. Watch out!
- improved immune function. Helps to eliminate problems such as Candida/Yeast
- sharper eyesight and better vision.
- strong, healthy heart muscle
- less cancer risk. Cancer is the #1 killer of dogs today! Read more about a ketogenic diet for dogs here
- firmer, less frequent stools relieve anal gland problems. This means less dog poop pick up for you.
- less shedding. Thank God!
Turner is a Lucky Raw Fed Dog
Four Raw Dog Food Categories
When you start to research feeding dogs a raw diet, the first thing you come to realize is that it is available in many different forms. Not as many choices as commercial dry dog food, but daunting nevertheless. Here are some of the choices available to you. As a place to start, just go to Google and type in ' raw dog food and your local area ' and see what pops up.
- Do It Yourself is possible and the most obvious choice, but some education is necessary. Dogs need meat, bones and organs along with a small amount of carbohydrates from plant sources, as would duplicate the natural diet of wild dogs. This can present a sourcing problem depending on where you live and what's available to you. A good variety of food is key here. Do your homework. See what you can source locally. Look in the grocery store, find local independent abbatoirs, food co-ops, talk to farmers who raise grass fed livestock and free range poultry. Learn more by going to this page about preparing home made dog food. There is a good raw dog food recipe.
- Premixed raw dog food is convenient and easy to find in good independent pet stores. You will find a wide variety of meat and ground bones blended with a small amount of fruit and vegetables frozen. This is typically called a B.A.R.F. diet or Bones And Raw Food or, Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. You will also find speciality foods such as green tripe, chickens feet and organs such as liver, kidneys, heart, lung etc. Premixed blends usually come in patties, nuggets and bricks, and tend to be more expensive because the work has been done for you. Learn more about the premixed raw food diet for dogs that I use.
- Prey Model Raw is based on the fact that dogs as a species are carnivorous predators, and would kill a rabbit or bring down a deer, if given half a chance. So this is feeding raw by giving the whole carcass of a prey animal to your dog, meaning whole chicken, or whole rabbit or a side of lamb for example.
- Dehydrated Raw is simply a raw dog food blend that has had the moisture removed. To reconstitute it, you will have to add the water back in according to the directions. This is a good raw food choice if you don't have enough freezer space, or when travelling. It is very convenient.
Feeding Dogs a Raw Diet Summed Up
So that's about it in a nutshell. You will have some research work to do to make the best raw dog food choice for your dog. You will need extra freezer space. If you are considering switching your dog to a raw food diet, here are some guidelines that will help you make the transition easy for you, and your dog. The work will be well worth it.
Guidelines for Transitioning to Raw Dog Food
Go From Raw Dog Food Back to Home Page
Learn it! Love it! Live it!
Donating to Dog Nutrition Naturally Helps Us Help You For Free