Here's My Ever Growing
Dog Health Problems List
Below, is my common dog health problems list. You'll find a short description of each dog illness included. By clicking on the title
you will be guided to more in depth information. You will find helpful holistic suggestions for improving or resolving
the health issue your dog is experiencing.
Don't forget that my common dog health problems list is a work in progress. If your dog has a health concerns and you can't find the information you want on the list, please ask your question on this page and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Always remember that it's really easy to have a completely healthy dog by following a few simple common sense suggestions and working toward better health for your dog every day the natural way. Dog health problems symptoms are the clues to improving better health.
Common Dog Illnesses Included
On My Dog Health Problems List
- Abscesses - are open sores surrounded by inflamed tissue
from which there is an oozing of pus, or pus like material contained within solid tissue.
- Addison's Disease
- is a severe depletion of the adrenal cortex, resulting in weakness,
weight loss, low blood pressure, gastrointestinal problems, and pigment
changes in the skin and mucous membranes.
- is not really a dog health problem but can involve increasing free radical damage to tissues and loss of function as your dog ages.
- Allergies - is defined as an abnormal sensitivity to a substance and is # 3 on the common dog health problems list of questions.
- Anal Glands - can become compacted and infected. Learn why expressing anal glands is a no no.
- Anxiety - is mild to severe apprehension or uneasiness about a present or impending event resulting in emotional and behaviour changes.
- Arthritis -
is inflammation of the joints accompanied by pain, swelling and
deterioration of the joints. Dog joint health is one of the most common
dog health concerns
- Bad Breath - is also called Halitosis. Does your dog have a bad odor coming from the mouth?
- Bites and Stings - from insects causing swelling, pain and inflammation.
- Bladder Infection - causes a constant urge to urinate. Damage
can cause tissue to become chronically inflammed and sore.
- Bloat - ( Gastric Dilitation -
Volvulus GDV) is the abnormal formation of excessive gas in the
gastrointestinal tract. This is a very serious dog health problem. Bloat can be life threatening. Call your veterinarian immediately.
- Blood in the Stool
- is a sign of intestinal inflammation or other injuries in the
colon or rectum.
- Body Odor - excessive offensive doggy odor indicates a need for cleansing the body inside and out.
- bronchiseptica/parainfluenza is a bacteria/virus complex affecting
the respiratory tract. This is the canine version of the common cold. Kennel
cough in other words.
- Cancer - the ultimate disease of imbalance where the DNA of a healthy cell becomes damaged, causing that cell to mutate.
- Candida - a fungal microorganism infection responsible for causing many other health problems. Yeast infections are # 1 on the dog health problems list
- Cataracts - is a clouding of the lens of the eye.
- Colitis - inflammation of the colon and small intestine.
- Collapsing Trachea
- a common dog health problem in small and toy breeds. The cartilage
rings that surround the trachea become compressed and the muscle that
lines the tracheal tube becomes weak and flacid.
- Conjunctivitis - also known as pink eye because of the redness that occurs in the whites of the eyes due to inflammation.
- Constipation - infrequent, incomplete, difficult or painful defecation of hard dry stool or fecal matter.
- Cushing's Disease - overactive and overproducing adrenal hormones from the adrenal glands.
- Dementia - loss of cognitive and intellectual function.
- Dermatitis - is inflammation of the skin.
- Diabetes - a dog health problem involving insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas.
- Diarrhea - excessively loose, watery, and frequent bowel movements. # 2 on the dog health problems list
- Ear Infection - inflammation or infection in the ear is # 4 on the common dog health problems list.
- Emotions and behaviour - let's take a look at how training can help you and your dog become balanced and happy.
- Epilepsy - disturbed electrical rhythms of the central nervous system.
- Eye Problems - can include infections, irritations, and deterioration.
- Fat Dogs - Obesity and overweight contributes to many health dog problems and therefore is # 5 on my dog health problems list. Canine obesity and overweight is preventable and correctable.
- Fleas - prevent this pesky health risk before you have a problem.
- Gastritis - inflammation of the stomach.
- Giardia - an infectious organism that attaches itself to the intestinal mucosa causing, diarrhea, weakness, vomiting. Giardia is on my dog health problems list because it is more common than you would think!
- Gingivitis ( Gum Disease ) - inflammation and a breakdown of gum tissue causing bleeding gums, gum disease, pyorrhea.
- Heart Disease - Cardiovascular Disease is a common dog illness. What makes the most sense is prevention, not treatment.
- Heartworm - that ever present risk from mosqitoes
- Heat Stroke - Also caled Hyperthermia. Signs, symptoms and what to do.
- Hepatitis - inflammation of the liver
- Hot Spots
- a moist, raw sore on the skin caused by constant
licking of an irritation.
- the detrimental colonization of a host organism by a foreign species (
bacteria, parasites, fungi, viruses ) accompanied by inflammation.
- Inflammation - a local response ( both external and internal ) to cellular injury accompanied by redness, swelling, heat, pain, and loss of function.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disorders - IBD includes Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome ( IBS ), colitis and ulcerative colitis.
- Itching - an irritating sensation on the surface of the skin causing scratching.
- Jaundice - a buildup of bilirubin in the blood causing the skin to appear yellow due to liver or blood disorders.
- Kidney Problems - from infection or the build up of stones.
- Leaky Gut - dysbiosis of the intestines
- Luxating Patellas - kneecaps that slip out of place.
- Lyme Disease - is a tick borne dog illness. It is a bacterial infection.
- Pancreatitis - inflammation of the pancreas
- organisms which live in, or thrive on, another organism. Parasites feed on the host tissues and
steal ingested nutrients.
- Periodontal Disease - disease of the tissues that surround and support the teeth.
- Poisoning - dangerous toxins can come from many sources. Find out more about the Top 10 potential dogs poisons.
- Seizures - are sudden convulsive neurologic attacks
- Tape Worms - this is a common dog health problem occurring when a dog ingests fleas that carry the tape worm eggs.
- Ticks - are small blood sucking insects whose bite can carry such diseases as Lyme's Disease, or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
- Urinary Tract Infections - inflammation of the urethra or tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body.
- Vaccinosis - vaccines contain chemicals such as mercury, aluminum, formaldahyde
and other toxic ingredients. Vaccines can cause irritation, fever and contribute to and influence other dog health problems.
- Vestibular Disease - an imbalance of the inner ear often confused with stroke.
- Vomiting - is disgorging the contents of the stomach through the mouth.
- Wounds and Sores - include cuts and abrasions.
- Yeast Infections - caused by the Candida Albicans fungus, the most common dog health problem of them all.
Have your say about what you've just read here. Use the comments box below.
Sharing is appreciated!