Leaky Gut Means
Your Dog's Intestines Have Holes
That's what leaky gut means. Your dog's intestines are leaking. Why are they leaking? Because the mucosal lining of the intestinal tract has been damaged. How did it get damaged? That's what you're going to find out here. The why and how and what to do about it.
Not feeling so good.
The lining of your dog's intestines is meant to:
- protect him from
harmful stuff leaking into the bloodstream
- let helpful beneficial nutrients pass through into the bloodstream
So, if the bad stuff is meant to leave the body and good stuff is meant to go further into the body, what went wrong?
Let's Talk About Dysbiosis and What Causes it
When the normal balance of something is thrown out of whack, that's called dysbiosis. So when the normal balance of gut flora in the intestines is thrown out of whack by:
- antibiotics *** most important ***
- drugs such as steroids and nsaids ( non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs )
- pesticide chemicals for flea/tick/heartworm control
- poor dog nutrition from processed dog food containing inappropriate ingredients such as grains, starches, color, preservatives
- pathogens from viruses, bacterias and fungi such as candida albicans
- vaccines stimulate GALT ( gut associated lymphoid tissue )
- parasites, eg: giardia
That's called intestinal dysbiosis! If this unbalanced, out of whack condition in the intestinal environment is allowed to continue, it will damage the lining of the intestines by creating holes. This makes the lining permeable ( leaky ) thus the name, Leaky Gut Syndrome. Got it?
Look at this illustration below to see what I mean.
Leaky Gut is the Mysterious Root Cause
Many Common Dog Health Problems
So, now you know what's really to blame. Your dog's leaky guts are the real reason dogs have ...
- digestives problems such as gas, bloating, vomiting and diarrhea are usually the first signs of dysbiosis
- bowel problems such as diarrhea, constipation and anal gland problems, inflammatory bowel disease
- skin problems
- ear problems
- immune system problems
- auto immune system problems
- respiratory ( breathing )
- bladder inflammation
- liver problems
- ...the list is endless actually!
How Can You Repair Your Dog's Leaky Gut?
- Stop doing what's causing it ( review the above list at Dysbiosis Causes )
- Use holistic natural alternatives instead
- Feed your dog appropriately for optimal digestion
- Repopulate and repair your dog's gut microbiome with natural remedies.
Here are some popular pages related to Leaky Gut
Back to Home Page
Join the Dog Nutrition Naturally Newsletter Community
Have your say about what you've just read here. Use the comments box below.
Sharing is appreciated!